Your clothes dryer may be a hidden fire hazard lurking in your home. The good news is that you can quickly fix and monitor this potential danger and reduce this fire risk. Today, our technicians at Power Vac of Ottawa who are experts in dryer vent cleaning will tell you how.
Effects of a Blocked Dryer Vent
Clean lint traps and fluff from clothes drying can be caught by the lint trap inside the dryer door. However, not all lint is caught, and some is pushed out into the dryer vent. This happens even if you’re diligent about cleaning the trap after every use, and allowing it to accumulate in the vent over time can cause issues.
When a dryer vent is blocked, it restricts the flow of air and moisture from the dryer, causing several potential issues. First, it can lead to longer drying times as the trapped air cannot escape efficiently. Secondly, it increases the risk of overheating and thus potential fire hazards as the hot air gets trapped inside the dryer.
Recognizing Signs & Symptoms of a Dryer Vent Clog
Fortunately, how to tell if a dryer vent is clogged is fairly straightforward. The following are some indicators your dryer vent could use a cleaning:
- The dryer produces heat, but the time it takes to dry clothes is increasing.
- The clothes are still damp when the cycle is finished.
- The clothes are noticeably hotter when the cycle is finished.
- When the dryer is running, the outdoor flapper on the vent hood remains closed
How to Clean Dryer Vent
You can clean your dryer vent yourself. The steps are as follows:
- Unplug your dryer and, if possible, pull it away from the wall. Turn off the gas and disconnect the dryer from the gas supply.
- Get a trash bag to help with cleanup.
- Disconnect the dryer vent with a screwdriver.
- Pull the lint out with your hand or a dryer vent brush. To remove excess lint, use a vacuum cleaner attachment.
- Reattach the vent and carefully push your dryer back in once it's clean. Reconnect it and, if necessary, reattach the gas line and turn the gas back on.
- Check the vent outside if you live in a house. If it has a cap, simply unscrew it and pull out the lint.
- Let it run for about 10-15 minutes. This will force any remaining lint down the vent and outside.
- Go back outside and reattach the cover to the outside vent.
It is important to note that regular cleaning a dryer vent system can be a time-consuming and potentially dangerous task. Therefore, it is recommended to hire a professional if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process.
Benefits of Professional Dryer Vent Cleaning
Professionals have the expertise and specialized tools to thoroughly clean your vent system. Additionally, professionals can also inspect the vent for any potential issues or damage that may need to be addressed, ensuring the safety and efficiency of your dryer with dryer vent cleaning services.
By hiring a professional, you can have peace of mind knowing that the job will be done correctly and efficiently. Moreover, professionals are trained to identify and handle any potential hazards or obstructions in the vent system, reducing the risk of fire or other safety hazards.