Regularly cleaning your dryer vents is a crucial step in ensuring they operate safely and efficiently. This process offers many benefits, including short-term and long-term advantages to appliances, encouraging dryer efficiency, and reducing overall energy costs. Today, our Ottawa technicians explain more.
Detecting Signs of a Dirty Dryer Vent
Before we get into the benefits of dryer vent cleaning, you should be aware of the signs that your dryer vent needs professional cleaning. These include:
- Your dryer isn't performing as well as it once did. If your dryer takes too long to dry your clothes, you should be concerned.
- You notice a burnt odour near your dryer. That is a very bad sign. If you suspect it's the dryer, turn it off right away. Dryer vents can catch fire if not cleaned properly because the lint and debris inside are highly flammable.
- Your dryer feels extremely hot to the touch. This indicates that the dryer isn't getting enough air. The same goes if your clothes are extremely hot when the dryer is finished.
- The flap on the dryer duct hood does not open. If this is the case, your dryer most likely has a problem.
Advantages of Regular Dryer Vent Cleaning
Power Vac of Ottawa believes strongly in taking preventive measures to ensure the safety of your home. Having a professional come to thoroughly clean your dryer vents can have long-lasting, beneficial effects on your health, safety, and well-being. Below are some major benefits of regular dryer vent cleaning.
Mitigate the Risk of Dryer Fires
A lack of dryer vent cleaning can quickly escalate the risk of a fire. Blockages in dryers can be caused by built-up materials, clothes, animal dander, and other flammable items. These objects can hold heat, compress it, or ignite sparks from the machine. Electrical mishaps also contribute to the risk of a dryer catching fire.
Regular maintenance and cleaning of dryer vents not only reduces the risk of fire but also improves the efficiency and lifespan of the machine. Hiring a professional cleaning service or using a dryer vent cleaning kit can ensure that all debris and blockages are removed, allowing for proper airflow and safe operation of the dryer.
Saving Money on Utility Costs
Clogged dryer vents increase the time it takes for clothes and linens to dry, consuming more energy and contributing to higher energy bills.
Unobstructed vents function at maximum efficiency and prevent wear and tear. Further, a cleaner machine works longer and reduces the risk of having to buy a new machine.
Elevate Indoor Air Quality with Clean Dryer Vents
Clogged dryer vents can cause the fumes from the heating process to leak into your home. They will likely spread through the air duct system, causing health issues. Further, if your dryer is in a small room, the steam from the dryer can cause the room to form mould.
By making sure your dryer vents are clean, you are increasing the quality of the air in your indoor space.
Achieve Quicker Drying Times for Your Laundry
Cleaning your dryer vent significantly improves the drying time of clothes. The extra time spent drying clothes not only negatively impacts the system, but the clothes too. Excessive drying can cause them to shrink and even lose their colour.
With a clean dryer vent, your machine runs more efficiently, allowing clothes to dry in one cycle, saving you money per laundry load, and also if you use clothes dryers.
Preventing Future Dryer Vent Clogs
If you're more of a DIY dryer vent cleaner, here are some tips for cleaning the dryer vent yourself. This should help extend the time needed between professional dryer vent cleanings. Note, however, that if you have any reservations at all, it's always best to contact a professional.
- Start by unplugging the dryer and pulling it out from the wall.
- Once you reach the vent duct, unscrew the clamp that tightens the vent pipe.
- Check the clamp for damages. If any cracks are visible, immediately replace the clamp. If not, inspect the remaining vent for clogs.
- Take a vacuum and suck all the lint and debris accumulated within the dryer. At this stage, it's good to check for any unwanted objects that might block the passageway.
- Once you're done with the cleaning, screw the clamp back on and switch on the machine.